April 26, 2011

Yes, it is at Tawakal Halal Cuisine!


Each time I visit a restaurant, it’s a new adventure. What will the food be like? Will they be friendly? Often I’ve visited the website beforehand to get an idea about the place. Sometimes you can get a really good indication. Tawakal Halal Cuisine’s website has nice music and welcomes you before you even step in the door. As a small family owned restaurant specializing in Somalian food, Tawakal incorporates East African, Middle-Eastern, and Mediterranean cuisines as well.

When you arrive at Tawakal on Bennington Street in East Boston, you’re given the choice of sitting at a table and chair or seated on the floor in the traditional way. Either way, you’re then offered some tea. I highly recommend that you take it, because it just might be your favorite tea from now on. It’s sweetened black tea with cardamom and cloves. I just couldn’t get enough of it!

For my lunch, I had a Chicken Sambusa appetizer, which was a hot crisp, light turnover stuffed with chicken. There’s no picture of it, because I devoured it before I had time to take a decent picture. Yes. It was that good. Then I had Chapati Fish, which is unleavened bread cooked on a griddle, then stuffed with fish and fresh sautéed vegetables. It was a joy to eat as well.

Unfortunately, no dessert was available at the time that I was there, so it looks like I’ll have to go back some other time and try it. And I’m very much looking forward to the next time.


~ Review by Lisa C. Johnson ~

Disclosure: While I tried to pay for my meal, I was told that it was a treat, so my meal ended up being complimentary.



© 2009-2011. iZiT lty. All rights reserved.

No comments: